Full stack Developer
Are you a full stack developer who is passionate about using technology to improve the lives of people, patients, and healthcare professionals?
We are seeking a full stack developer to join our small team to help us develop our open platform (PaaS) for healthcare.
Operon is an early stage start-up planning to change the way software is developed for healthcare. We have recently secured funding from NHS Digital Code4Health and other partners to enable us to deliver our vision.
Our vision is to launch PaaS (Platform as a Service for healthcare) that will open up healthcare market to app developers – think Heroku for healthcare! The components of our PaaS are based on proven international standards and are currently in use around the world including UK, Norway, Sweden, Finland, France, Netherlands, Australia, China, Russia, and Brazil. We want to make our PaaS available to innovative developers to create software that makes a real difference to the way healthcare is delivered. Our long-term ambition is to leverage our platform to build a healthcare app ecosystem that will augment and eventually compete with current incumbents.
We are an experienced team of clinicians and health technologists with a track record of commercial success. Some of our team are internationally recognised experts in healthcare IT and have been involved in healthcare projects within the UK and across the world.
The Company operates virtually and while these roles are based at our Central London workspace at Runway East Finsbury Square in East London alongside a number of other tech start-ups there are plenty of opportunities for flexible and remote working.
What you will do
- You will develop the REST APIs for our scalable PaaS offering using Java and JVM related technologies supported by both SQL and NoSQL backends.
- You will work alongside other members of the team in refining our services based on the latest design patterns like microservices, REST, API Gateways, containerisation (Docker) and GraphQL in a continuous delivery setting.
- You will take an active role in enhancing our PaaS using existing and new technologies to deliver a fault-tolerant and scalable architecture.
- As a full-stack developer, you will work closely with our front-end developer(s) to refine our API services and UI for both performance and usability.
- You will work closely with our team of clinicians and informaticians to design and deliver existing clients and future projects.
You will be a team player with a willingness to lend a hand with any aspect of the Company’s activity in addition to the core task of software development. You will able to work with minimal supervision and bring their own ideas and expertise to our venture. There will be an opportunity to work with the health informatics community which includes many enthusiastic clinicians and innovative developers wanting to disrupt the way IT is delivered in healthcare.
You will have credible experience in:
- Experience of designing and creating microservices and APIs that use REST.
- Java frameworks and associated technologies (Spring, Hibernate, Tomcat/Jetty)
- Relational and NoSQL databases (MySQL/MariaDB, MongoDB, Redis)
- Test frameworks and producing well-tested code using TDD or BDD (Spock, JUnit, etc).
- Working with modern development tools like Maven/Gradle, pairwise coding, code reviews, agile project methodologies
- Experience of working in a continuous delivery setting (via Jenkins).
- Open source software development (contributions on GitHub or elsewhere)
- Ideally, you will have experience of more than one language (Scala/Groovy/Python) or you will be willing to learn new skills as needed.
- Packaging applications for cloud deployment (AWS, Bluemix, OpenStack)
- Experience of DevOps tools for provisioning and managing Linux servers (Ansible, CentOs)
- API Gateway design and documentation frameworks (tyk, swagger)
- OAuth Identity management/single-sign-on (JWT, Auth0, KeyCloak)
- Experience of working in the health and social care domain would be an advantage but is far from essential.
Experience in parenthesised technologies a bonus. Salary of £40k – £60k. There is an opportunity for equity participation after a satisfactory probationary period.
If you wish to apply send your CV with covering email to email@example.com